Talk about unfinished business! In 1977, the American composer Philip Glass released his composition, North Star, to Virgin Records. He developed bits and pieces of the composition and then, accompanied by his ensemble, edited the work together at the end. Despite its release, North Star was never completely performed in the studio. Musicians also never even attempted it in concert.

American choreographer Lar Lubovitch later choreographed a five-movement ballet to the composition, which is also named North Star.

This week, the University community has the privilege of viewing the world premiere of Philip Glass’ composition, performed by the University Dance company in a program called “Resonant Rhythms.” This performance also marks the first time Lubovitch’s choreography will be performed by a university dance company. Prior to this performance, Lubovich’s choreography has been used by his own company and by the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater; a commendable track record to say the least.

Minimalism, a movement supported by Glass, which includes the repetition of short melodic fragments interspersed between strong pulses, is the base from which “Resonant Rhythms” stems. With this base, the program will include five worldly dances with short interludes between them. The performance will commence with an overture which samples each of the dances in the show, and which is choreographed by Dance Department Chair Bill DeYoung. DeYoung likens his opening piece to “looking out of a train window and viewing the complete landscape.”

Other dances in the program include “Ndebele” by Robin Wilson, Bill DeYoung’s “Studsa,” Sandra Torijano’s “Pulso,” “Fallout,” by Ruth Leney-Midkiff, “Clapping” and “Fire.”

Each dance piece is inspired by various cultures, people and movements. “Ndebele,” for example, is named for the Ndebele women of Zimbabwe and is reflective of the interiors and exteriors of their homes. Perhaps, even more interesting, “Fallout” is a ballet depicting combustions, when heat and energy are produced by the collision of opposing forces. It was named after the “Star Trek” episode titled “Doomsday Machine.”