In a report published last week, U.S. News & World Report ranked the University’s Hospitals and Health Centers as the 14th best in the country.

The annual report surveyed how well institutions manage demanding and complicated situations. It also ranked hospitals in 16 specialties such as heart disease, cancer and respiratory disorders.

The study looked at 4,861 hospitals. Of these, only 171 were ranked as top hospitals in one or more of the specialties, based on death rate, reputation and patient safety and services.

The University had eight specialties ranked — with ear, nose and throat as the highest at number 11 in America.

At the July University Board of Regents meeting, President Mary Sue Coleman said the rankings represent the quality of care the health system provides for every patient.

“For many residents in Michigan and beyond, our hospitals and clinics are the first connection with the University of Michigan, providing exceptional and passionate care … and these latest rankings only reinforce the strength of our health care system,” she said.

The report ranked John Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore as the number one hospital in the nation and recognized it for 15 specialties.

Last year, the University ranked one spot higher than this year’s ranking at number 13 and was acknowledged in nine specialties. This year, the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center took the 13th spot with 13 overall points — one point more than the University’s score.

This was the 15th consecutive year that the University’s hospitals and health centers were listed in the top 20.

At the regents meeting, Ora Hirsch Pescovitz, executive vice president for medical affairs, commended the work of more than 19,000 hospital employees who he said ensure that the University’s hospitals continuously rank in the top tier.

“This is really a tribute to the kind of quality and safety that our people deliver on a daily basis,” Pescovitz said. “This recognition is something I believe that everybody at the University of Michigan should really take great pride in.”