The body of an unidentified 49-year-old University staff member was found by a Department of Public Safety officer at 3 p.m. Saturday on the fifth floor of the Literature, Science, and the Arts Building, DPS said.

DPS spokeswoman Diane Brown said the cause of death is under investigation, but she added there is no reason to suspect foul play as cause.

“The cause of death will be discovered later this week, by an autopsy … by the Washtenaw County Medical Examiner’s office,” Brown said.

She said that although the LSA Building is closed on the weekends, there was no sign of a break-in.

The length of time the body had been in the building before it was discovered is also unknown, she said.

The body was found during a random security check of the building by the unidentified officer.

The LSA Building was almost completely empty, as all offices and departments apart from that of the Cashier’s Office have been evacuated due to renovations. The building’s renovation began in late April and is scheduled to be completed in the summer of 2005.

Brown said yesterday that DPS began the process of notifying family members about the death.

She said more information would be available today.

She would not disclose the University department with which the deceased was affiliated.