Students studying at the Shapiro Undergraduate Library this term may be inconvenienced by a lack of functional lavatories.

As a part of a project that began June 14, all of the bathrooms in the UGLi are closed for renovations.

Rebecca Dunkle, associate university librarian for library operations, said in a statement Thursday the entirety of the library’s plumbing chase — the area where water and sewage pipes are based — is being replaced, leaving all of the building’s sinks and toilets inoperable. As part of the renovation, the plumbing fixtures in the bathrooms will also be replaced.

Rather than closing down and repairing the restrooms one at a time, Dunkle said the bathrooms all had to be closed down because “trying to re-direct waste and water from floor to floor is almost impossible.”

For those who need to use a bathroom, library officials are directing students and other guests to the 22 restrooms in the Hatcher Graduate Library next door.

Dunkle said the library doesn’t expect students’ studying to be hindered by the renovations, which are projected to last the duration of the summer.

“Since the summer is relatively slow and there are restrooms so conveniently close, this was the deemed to be the best option,” Dunkle said.

When asked whether closing the library would conflict with workplace requirements, officials from the Occupational Safety and Health Administration at both the state and federal levels said as long as the University has an alternate location for library employees, the multi-restroom closing does not violate any labor laws.

Business sophomore Kevin Hashman said the renovations seem unnecessary.

“I didn’t think they need renovations — they were OK,” Hashman said. “They needed more frequent cleanings, in my opinion, more than renovations.”

Though library officials claim the Graduate Library bathrooms are within easy access of the UGLi, Hashman said he found the walk “a little annoying,” and added that he is glad the facilities will run better after being updated.

Hashman said he thinks summer is the smartest time for the renovations to happen, when there are less students on campus studying, noting that there were currently two people in the library at the time of the interview.

“(Renovations in the fall) would be a lot more of a mess,” he said.

-Managing Editor Giacomo Bologna contributed to this report.