The University, along with Michigan State University and Wayne State University, asked a federal court today to delay the implementation of Proposal 2.

If the motion is successful, the University will avoid being forced to stop considering race in admissions on Dec. 23, which is in the middle of the admissions cycle. If the stay is not granted, applications received after that date will be judged by different standards than those received before.

The motion was filed in response to a lawsuit filed on Nov. 8 against the University by the radical pro-affirmative action group By Any Means Necessary. BAMN’s suit claims that the proposal violates the equal protection clause of the 14th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution and that the University must continue to consider race.

University President Mary Sue Coleman said it would be “nearly impossible to flip a switch” in the middle of the year’s admissions process.

“It would be extremely difficult, and unfair to prospective students, to change our admissions and financial aid processes in mid-stream,” she said in a written statement.

The stay would likely stay in effect until the last application for the entering class of 2007 has been processed in the spring or early summer.

The request was filed earlier today with U.S. District Court Judge David Lawson.

Until the courts reach a final decision, University President Mary Sue Coleman said the University will obey the law.

“We will make our best attempt to interpret the language of Proposal 2, and continue our programs in a manner that both complies with the law and protects our diversity and our academic excellence,” she said. “If challenged, the University of Michigan is prepared to defend our programs and our interpretation of the law.”