NEW YORK (AP) Lennox Lewis claims he won”t be fighting Mike Tyson on April 6. Then again, he might be.

After being refused a license to fight in Nevada, Mike Tyson will attempt to find somewhere else to battle Lennox Lewis in April.<br><br>AP PHOTO

“I”m unaware that the April 6 fight is out,” Tyson adviser Shelly Finkel said yesterday. “We”ll meet to discuss it.”

Tyson, who has been refused a license to fight in Nevada, is expected to apply for a license in California later this month.

“The April 6 date is definitely out the window for the Tyson fight, but it may be OK for another fight,” Lewis told BBC Radio on Sunday. “Later in the year for a Lewis-Tyson fight, definitely.”

However, there”s the matter of contracts signed by both fighters for what would be a joint pay-per-view venture between HBO and Showtime.

“We are eager to sit down with Lennox Lewis and discuss his future in the ring,” said Ross Greenburg, president of HBO Sports, which has a multi-fight contract with the WBC-IBF heavyweight champion.

“We”re in uncharted waters, and we”re not going to engage in any speculation,” Greenburg said.

Showtime, which has a deal with Tyson, declined comment.

The organizers of the fight have until the end of this week to find a site. That could change because it might be difficult to secure a site before Tyson gets a license, in the wake of what happened in Nevada.

The MGM Grand in Las Vegas was to have been the site, but then came the melee at a news conference in New York on Jan. 22, followed by the Nevada State Athletic Commission”s rejection of Tyson”s license application a week later.

What happens if California refuses to license Tyson remains to be seen. Finkel has said seven states and two foreign countries are interested in the fight.

He declined to identify them. There have been published reports of interest by four countries Denmark, Germany, Netherlands and South Africa.

As for Lewis fighting anyone else on April 6, that seems highly unlikely, and it would be for much less money than he would get for fighting Tyson.

Should Lewis fight another opponent April 6, it probably would be Chris Byrd in mandatory IBF title defense. A fight against Tyson would be a WBC mandatory defense.