Two campus buildings were evacuated for about an hour yesterday morning while firefighters investigated reports of smoke.

At about 9:15 a.m., the Department of Public Safety received multiple calls from people who smelled smoke coming from the basement of the Clements Library and an underground utilities tunnel.

Both the library and Martha Cook Residence Hall were evacuated from about 9:30 to 10:15 a.m. while firefighters tried to locate the source of the smoke, DPS spokeswoman Diane Brown said.

No one was injured.

People were allowed to pass on the south side of South University Avenue, and many Martha Cook residents waited nearby in flips flops and pajamas, said LSA sophomore Lea Wojciechowski, one of the evacuated residents.

The smoke was actually dust caused by contractors cutting cement nearby, Brown said.

The contractors were working near the Hatcher Graduate Library on a project to repair underground utility tunnels in the area.

Wojciechowski was checking her e-mail in the basement of Martha Cook when a staff member told her to evacuate. She stood outside in the 50-degree weather wearing flip-flops, jeans and a t-shirt. Wojciechowski estimated that about 80 students were evacuated from the dorm.

“I just figured it was just some little situation like someone was drying her hair, and that’s what caused the alarm to go off,” Wojciechowski said.

After waiting outside for about half an hour, Wojciechowski left to go to her Math 425 class empty-handed. Wojciechowski said she explained why she didn’t have her homework with her to her professor, who said “that’s a better story than saying the dog ate my homework.”

After students were allowed back into the dorm, construction workers spent the next few hours venting the air to dissipate the dust particles, Brown said.