Lots of airtime, combined with mind-boggling body control, can mean only one thing: its gymnastics time.

On Friday, the Michigan women’s team opened its season with its annual intrasquad meet. The Maize team edged out the Blue team 161.625-159.375.

Those familiar with gymnastics might find the final score to be quite surprising, considering that a good winning score is usually at least 195, and often times higher. It appeared that Michigan was a little rusty coming out of the gate.

“We still have a whole month before (the actual season starts),” Michigan coach Bev Plocki said. “This is the earliest that our intrasquad has ever been.”

Some of the problems can be attributed to the fact that the two teams were a little shorthanded. Normally, six team members perform in each event, with the two lowest scores being dropped and then the scores totaled. Each team in the intrasquad only had five people.

Both teams had trouble on the uneven bars. There were a number of falls, and a few gymnasts had to back out of more complicated maneuvers.

“We had more trouble than I thought we would on bars,” Plocki said. “We’ve been a lot more consistent on bars in practice, so that was a little surprising.”

Grieco came in first in the all-around with a score of 39. Calli Ryals was a close second with a score of 38.6, and freshman Jenny Deiley rounded out the top three with a score of 38.425.

Deiley was a bright spot for the team, finishing in the top four in three events.

“Jen looks really good on all events, and we’re really excited for her to compete all-around,” Ryals said.

“I was actually more relaxed than I have been usually,” Deiley said. “I felt comfortable coming in here and my teammates are really supportive.”

Freshmen Becca Clauson and Rachel Colon also had their moments.

“I’m really proud of how (the freshmen) did (Friday),” Plocki said. “For them to get through this, even with one or two mistakes, is a really big thing.”

The other encouraging story was the emergence of redshirt freshman Lauren Mirkovich, who scored a 9.800 on the uneven bars to win the event. Last year, Mirkovich injured her knee on a bad landing during a floor routine.

Performing for the first time “was very exciting,” Mirkovich said. “I sort of did feel like a freshman, but with a little more experience behind me.”