“Trust Me”
Mondays at 10pm
TNT

The buddy comedy is a subgenre that always holds great potential. From Joe and Jerry in “Some Like it Hot” to Harry and Lloyd in “Dumb and Dumber,” it’s still satisfying to see two best friends screw around and stick together through thick and thin.

“Trust Me” is a workplace dramedy that follows the exploits of an odd couple in the advertising world. Mason (Eric McCormack, “Will and Grace”) is the responsible half — a high-strung, hard-working art director. Connor (Tom Cavanagh, “Ed”) is the goofball — a fast-talking but laid-back copywriter. The duo works as a creative team at a fictional Chicago agency called Rothman, Greene & Mohr, which also houses some other memorable personalities. There’s Monica Potter (Sarah Krajicek-Hunter, “Boston Legal”), a talented but neurotic and thin-skinned newcomer to the office, and the hilarious team of Tom (Mike Damus, “Numb3rs”) and Hechtor (Geoffrey Arend, “Greek”), a mischief-making pair who, when their powers combine, become the agency’s two-headed village idiot.

Indeed, Rothman, Greene & Mohr proves to be the ideal setting for “Trust Me.” The preposterously pressure-filled atmosphere of the world of advertising quickens the pace of the show. In addition, advertising executives work in pairs (one art director with one copywriter), which is perfect for a buddy series. Predictably, some of the most powerful scenes in “Trust Me” are those featuring Mason and Connor hard at work in fierce brainstorming sessions, where each spews out ideas, both compelling and awful, for their latest advertising campaign.

This competitive environment frequently puts Mason and Connor’s relationship to the test. In the pilot, Mason and Connor’s stressed-out boss kicks the bucket, and the agency’s creative director Tony Mink (Griffin Dunne, “Law & Order: Criminal Intent”) needs to find a replacement. He chooses Mason to fill the position. Connor is upset that his partner chose not to tell him about the promotion, and their friendship must survive the added tension. It’s clear this symbiotic relationship will be consistently tested through the rest of the season with similar plot lines.

Unlike “Mad Men,” AMC’s popular drama-heavy series about a New York City advertising agency in the 1960s, “Trust Me” finds humor in the stressful world of advertising. During one of Mason and Connor’s brainstorming sessions for a client, Arc Mobile, a fictional telephone company, Connor humorously suggests that a gladiator named “Spar-text-icus” be the mascot for the brand, “slaying a lion with one hand and texting with the other.”

Whether they’re getting along or not, it’s McCormack and Cavanagh that hold the whole show together. When they aren’t working on an ad campaign, they quibble and squabble like an old married couple over anything and everything. But it’s obvious that, at the end of the day, they’ll still be pals.

Watching these two talented actors bicker, fight and make up for an hour each week promises, if nothing else, to be entertaining.