A free sneak preview of the new comedy “Super Troopers” will be given tonight for University students. The presentation is part of a countrywide tour of college campuses by some of the people behind the film.

The screening will be at 9 p.m. at the State Theater. The writers, actors, director and producer of the film will be there to participate in a question and answer session after the screening.

“Super Troopers” is the tale of four slacking, adventurous Vermont State Troopers stationed near the Canadian border. They quickly learn that their relatively crime free area may face budget cuts, so they work together to try and save their jobs but have as much fun as possible doing it. The action truly begins when they discover a possible drug smuggling operation in their neighborhood.

The creative team behind the film is the five-man comedy team, Broken Lizard. They are composed of Jay Chandrasekhar, Kevin Heffernan, Steve Lemme, Paul Soter, and Eric Stolhanske. This is the group”s second film, as they continue the legacy of another great comedy troupe, Monty Python, in bringing their hilarious hijinks to bigger audiences on the big screen.

The five guys met in college, started a sketch comedy group in New York City, and slowly got into film. “Super Troopers” was a hit at the 2001 Sundance festival, where it was quickly acquired by Fox Searchlight pictures.

Even though impersonating an officer is illegal, the whole cast had a great time on and off the set in their authoritative uniforms. Chandrasekhar, the film”s director and one its stars, says of the production, “Shooting a movie when you”re dressed as a cop is great. People are used to following orders from people dressed like me.”