The Michigan men’s swimming and diving team needed no extra motivation.

The Wolverines (3-0 Big Ten, 4-0 overall) entered the Lee and Joe Jamail Swimming Center looking for their second consecutive win over No. 5 Texas and No. 8 Indiana. Just half of a point separated Michigan from the Longhorns in a loss last year, and the Wolverines looked to come away with a more assertive win this fall.

“Our guys get excited to compete against the best, and Texas is one of the best in the country and Indiana one of the best in the Big Ten,” said Michigan assistant head coach Josh White. “So not much was needed to be said, they were ready to go and compete.”

After amassing 23 event wins over the two days, a 194-106 victory over Texas and a 223-77 victory over the Hoosiers, it would be fair to say the mission was accomplished.

Michigan jumped to an early lead with a pair of first-place finishes from junior Connor Jaeger in the 1,000-yard freestyle and the 200-yard individual medley relay.

“Everything just went really well for us,” said junior John Wojciechowski. “Everyone was really intense, we got a good lead and I think that was the main difference.”

Wojciechowski helped the Wolverines build on their lead with a first-place finish in the 100-yard butterfly in 47.98 seconds – an NCAA consideration time. Wojciechowski registered two more first-place finishes on Saturday, bringing his final tally to three.

“It was really nice to win the 100 fly,” Wojciechowski said. “It’s nice to be an active part of the team again and get a win for the team.”

Freshman Dylan Bosh also chipped in with a win in the 200-yard breaststroke and a second-place finish in the 100-yard breaststroke. The two-time Big Ten freshmen swimmer of the week clocked in at 1:45.46 and 48.06 in the respective events – both NCAA consideration times.

“We hoped that he would be one of the swimmers in the NCAAs,” White said. “He’s getting there a little bit quicker than we expected. He’s just done a great job of really being relaxed and taking everything in stride.”

Senior Miguel Ortiz rounded out the headlines by tallying four first-place finishes over the two-day meet. On Friday, he clocked in at 47.82 in the 100-yard backstroke – an NCAA consideration time – and 20.26 in the 50-yard freestyle. On Saturday, he replicated his success in the 50-yard freestyle.

But with all of their success and dominance, the Wolverines’ performance wasn’t flawless.

“The biggest thing right now is people’s turns and working on their finishes or starts,” Wojciechowski said. “With all the hard days, the hard training, perhaps we haven’t been able to work on the details. Hopefully within the next month we’ll start being more efficient and work on the little details.”

Michigan will have plenty of time to iron out the kinks before taking on Big Ten rival Purdue on Nov. 16.