Whatever grows goes, bros. November has hit us again and it’s time to indulge in those personal fur coats. Thirty days to allow your follicles to run wild, a trend accessible for any age group mature enough to execute a result.

Now, it may just be seen as something to do, something to talk about and something to crazy party about at the end of the month, but like the majority of trends, there is a story behind the madness. No Shave November, also referred to as Movember and Novembeard, was an event conceived by a group of Australians in 1999. Five years later, Movember Charity was established to raise awareness for prostate cancer.

Men register online, pledging their commitment to the public men’s health campaign by shaving Oct. 31 and growing out and grooming a mustache throughout the month of November, typically ending the joke with a Dec. 1 shave. I feel more in-the-know now that I’m aware of the cause behind the hair, which is sponsored by Livestrong and sports the catchphrase, “Every mustache makes a difference.”

I would venture to guess that the fusion between the charity’s cause and the trend works out delightfully for men because they come off as both caring and manly, the ultimate contrast. Naturally, all one needs to paint the perfect picture is to have a Golden Retriever pacing by his side.

But this fad extends much further than the campaign, to college students and others. Many participate in the intended facial hair growth without knowing about the campaign behind the fun.

Personally, I’m all for the crazes of November — cozy sweaters, pumpkin cheesecake and sexy beards — yes, please. But I know that’s not the case for everyone.

There are a wide variety of female responses to this fall movement: In the extreme, we have females in cheerleader support of their Movember men, also known as Mo Sistas. There are women, like me, who find the scruffy look to be intriguing and pleasing. And then there are the many ladies who like their men clean-shaven. Those with participating boyfriends, but who are not in favor of such a brutish style, simply refer to the month as “No Sex November.”

But the ratio of people content with the trend running its course shifts dramatically when it’s women partaking in the festivities.

According to my Twitter-based research, there exists a massive group of men and women who think it’s over-the-top-feminist and also simply disgusting for chicks to let their leg and armpit hair flow naturally. The fact that men don’t support this impulse doesn’t make much sense to me because, by extension, it’s like they’re not supporting women who support men. And the timeless argument of my-body-not-yours stands in this scenario, as well. If you have a big problem with the four-week movement, date a swimmer, date a supermodel or embrace the hair.

One of the less crude Movember-related, misogynistic tweets: “That awkward moment when you have to explain that No Shave November is meant for men, NOT women.” But it’s good to know there is a slight balancing out happening because of tweets like, “I guess as part of No Shave November I should point out that ladies with body/facial hair are totally, utterly glorious. Rock on, lovelies.”

However you look at it, it’s a social force you will encounter in some way or another. If you don’t enjoy your colleagues letting loose, you might still be one of the many enjoying the merchandise that results from it — mustache mugs or stickers have been popping up everywhere.

Ann Arbor has more beards than mustaches, and I appreciate that. Everyone should continue trimming, waxing, styling and shaving — or not — as they wish, and should welcome each individual to do the same. It’s a fashionably cold but carnal month for those participating in No Shave November. But it could be larger than that for altruists — this particular trend may have more longevity and appeal than others like Instagram, Ray Bans and the phrase “Is this real life?” because of the consciousness of a health campaign beneath your swank wool coat.