Due to weather-related damage to Yost Ice Arena, Athletic Department officials postponed Friday night’s sold out hockey game between Michigan and Miami (Ohio) until Sunday afternoon at 4:00 p.m.

Athletic Department spokesman Bruce Madej said snow and ice accumulations over the holiday break likely caused the damage, which separated an upper level of bricks and mortar away from the building.

Madej said the problem was limited to entrances and exits on the east side of the building.

“It’s an ingress, egress problem with the east side entrances and exits and potentially the sidewalk on the State Street side,” he said.

After consulting with the fire department, the Athletic Department decided to delay the game because it would not otherwise be able to use the east entrances and exits and would have to turn some fans away, Madej said.

The Athletic Department became aware of the issue when a mason working on the new indoor practice facilities on South State Street noticed earlier this week that Yost Ice Arena might have some damage. After investigating the issue, Athletic Department officials ruled the damage was likely caused by snow and ice conditions over the holiday break.

If left unfixed, the damages could create a situation in which falling bricks or mortar could injure someone in the area. Madej stressed that the necessary repairs would be made so that such an incident would not occur.

“We’re being extremely cautious,” he said stressing that fans’ safety was a top priority.

Despite the damage, the facility remains open, and the hockey team is continuing to practice in the facility today.

For more coverage of this incident, see the Daily’s sports blog The Game.