3cb3003f9aaa0-60-1

What can you expect from a movie that is based on a video game? There”s lots of action and adventure, a few wild and over-the-top characters and a plot that is neither too terribly original nor inventive. These movies do not have a lot of substance but when the credits roll, it doesn”t matter because everyone has had fun. “Lara Croft: Tomb Raider” is no exception to this rule.

Lara Croft is ready to rumble.<br><br>Courtesy of Paramount

The movie revolves around Croft (Angelina Jolie), a rich, adventure-seeking girl who lives for the adrenaline rush. When a special clock, that is literally the key to a triangle that controls time, is stolen from her, Croft goes on a hunt to not only retrieve the clock, but also to stop the bad guys from getting their hands on the triangle.

The underlying theme about controling time is interesting. At one point Croft comments how “time is stolen from us and it”s not fair.” Everyone wishes he could control time and it”s interesting to think about what life would be like if one could. However, “Tomb Raider” does not focus on this fantasy, thus lacking one of the most interesting plot points the movie could have had.

Jolie is perfect as the movie”s heroine, Lara Croft. You don”t need to be familiar with the video game to know that Jolie has been successfully transformed into Croft. From her extremely long hair to her big, not at all realistic looking breasts, Croft”s animated character has been brought to life on the big screen.

Jolie is also having a lot of fun with her role, as if she”s not acting but rather playing a role. Jolie is constantly posed when on screen, which is pretty much all the time. From her strutting walk to her standing stance, she is always cool Croft. You could almost go so far as to say that Jolie is the best thing about “Tomb Raider.” If you don”t like Jolie, you won”t enjoy this movie at all. She makes this movie.

You might think that this movie would be filled with great special effects, but this isn”t the case. Yes, “Tomb Raider” has a lot of special effects, but none of them are “special” and actually quite disappointing considering how advanced technology is nowadays. One scene where a bunch of stone apes come alive and start battling Croft and her crew was so imaginatively fake, it made me laugh.

There isn”t much else to say about “Tomb Raider.” Besides being a fun action movie, there isn”t that was too terribly memorable. You may not be bored, but you might not remember it too well in the morning either.