The conclusion of the internal investigation into the Michigan men’s basketball program was announced during a press conference this morning, with University President Mary Sue Coleman and Athletic Director Bill Martin outlining a list of sanctions that will take effect immediately. The University submitted a report today to the NCAA listing the self-imposed sanctions stemming from the program’s involvement with former booster Ed Martin.

Jon Schwartz
Michigan took action today to remedy the illegal contact former booster Ed Martin had with the basketball program in the 1990s. (AP PHOTO)

“Our investigation is now over,” Martin said. “We received a formal letter of inquiry from the NCAA on October 29, and this report represents our official response.”

Said Michigan coach Tommy Amaker: “It’s good that we are finally able to bring this process to a close. I am focused on the future of this basketball program.”

On account of the sanctions, Michigan will forfeit all games won while former players Chris Webber, Robert Traylor, Maurice Taylor and Louis Bullock were ineligible – this includes the 1992 and 1993 Final Fours, the 1992-93 season and all seasons from the fall of 1995 until the spring of 1999.

The program will also be forced to repay $450,000 to the NCAA that was received for postseason play during that time, and will remove all banners that were hanging in Crisler Arena coming from victories in that timeframe.

In addition, the University announced the basketball team will be banned from the 2003 NCAA Tournament and the 2003 National Invitational Tournament.