The Michigan men’s basketball team had one week to prepare for its game against archrival Michigan State, and it showed. Despite a slow start, the Wolverines were more prepared physically and mentally, and only minutes into the second half, Michigan (11-3 Big Ten, 19-7 overall) began to impose its will on the Spartans.

Now holding sole possession of first place in the Big Ten with just four games to play, it must avoid a letdown if it hopes to win its first outright conference title in almost 30 years. The final stretch of the season starts Wednesday, when the Wolverines head to West Lafayette to take on a middling Purdue (5-9, 15-12) that has lost seven of its last nine games.

Michigan won the previous meeting, 75-66, on Jan. 30 in Ann Arbor. The Daily breaks down the three keys for another victory:

Continue the Nik and Caris show: It’s clear that the Wolverines are at their best when sophomore guard Nik Stauskas is at his. Early in Big Ten play, Stauskas emerged as one of the country’s most dangerous scorers, and as Michigan rode a 10-game win streak through East Lansing and Madison, the talk shifted to Stauskas’ professional aspirations. But when Stauskas’ play dropped off, the Wolverines lost three of five games despite a scoring surge from sophomore guard Caris LeVert.

But when both are on, like they were against the Spartans — the guards combined to score 48 points — the Michigan backcourt is lethal enough to beat anyone in the nation.

Control the ball: In the teams’ previous meeting, the Wolverines shot a whopping 60.4 percent from the field, yet only beat the struggling Boilermakers by nine. How was the game so close?

Michigan’s starting backcourt — Stauskas, LeVert and freshman point guard Derrick Walton Jr. — combined to turn the ball over 10 times, and the team had 16 total turnovers. That figure, more than six above the team’s average, kept Purdue in the game — it led to 12 Boilermaker points.

If the Wolverines can replicate their three-turnover performance from Sunday’s win, they should have no troubles with the Boilermakers.

Play your game: At the end of the day, stats can be thrown out in a game like this. Michigan is the vastly superior team, with more talent, experience and all the momentum on its side. Purdue, on the other hand, is sputtering to the finish line, and a win over the 16th-ranked Wolverines would be a nice way to go out.

Don’t expect the Boilermakers to simply roll over, meaning the onus is on Michigan to come out looking focused.

“They’re just as tough a game to us as if we went to Ohio State, went to Michigan State. They may not be to the media, they may not be in reality, but they are to me,” said Michigan coach John Beilein.

That sounds nice, though it’s easier said than done, especially coming from a coach and not a group of college kids riding high from the win of their season. Still, Beilein insists that he’ll have his team ready.

“That’s our whole job as a coach, to be able to make sure that they understand that at this level of basketball, every game is going to be a battle,” Beilein said.

If he succeeds, his team should, and relatively easily.

Prediction: Michigan 81, Purdue 63