Dirty South music has never been universally respected in the world of hip hop. So they got their own club-thumping genre and they’ve been happy working there since. Some got huge (OutKast) and others stayed quiet (C-Murder). Somewhere in the middle is Tennessee’s Three 6 Mafia. Their adrenaline pumping, horror-core beats have been keeping people destructive for almost a decade. Famously, the city of Memphis banned the playing of “Tear The Club Up ’97” because partiers began quite literally tearing the club apart.

They make their triumphant return with their new, destructive album Most Known Unknown. If you know anything about Three 6 Mafia, then you likely know their style – promiscuous women, candy-painted cars, absurd, fatalistic party raps.

The album is a nonstop fun house. The intro, “Most Known Unknown Hits,” is a compilation of all their best songs, from their first singles until now, played over one beat for 1 minute and 29 seconds. It then leads into the breakneck, instantly memorable “Stay Fly.” The album continues with their usual style of hardcore bass and yelling crunk as they collaborate with artists from all over the South.

A little versatility would be nice, but don’t hold your breath. It’s the same thing you’ve been listening to for years now. They’re just not really progressing, though they still produce a drunkenly good Dirty South album. So if you’ve got a killer sound system that violates city and state regulations, this just might be for you.

Rating: 3 out of 5 stars