Even if she’s humming a tune under her breath on a crowded New York subway, Taylor Louderman is easily distinguishable from the masses. Graced with a Broadway-bound voice, Louderman isn’t an everyday social encounter.

Louderman, a musical theatre major in the School of Music, Theatre & Dance, is currently residing in New York City, spending a year away from the University to perform in a national tour of “Bring It On: The Musical.” Based on the hit movie series of the same name, “Bring It On” plans to tour the country, going through 12 cities until June before attempting to make a run on Broadway.

After playing her first role as Annie in “Annie: The Musical,” at age 10, Louderman took a deeper interest in the arts as she grew older. She took part as a teen in the Muny, St. Louis’s well-known outdoor theater, and finally auditioned for six schools during her senior year of high school before deciding to attend Michigan.

The musical theatre program at the University is considered one of the most prestigious of its kind. Notoriously difficult to get into — Louderman believes in her year there were 800 people who auditioned and 20 who were admitted — the program usually houses the crème de la crème of the country’s musical talent.

Louderman spoke about the University’s virtues, citing both its “big college experience” and its high-quality faculty.

“It doesn’t get any better,” she said. “They really focus on making it a family-oriented program.”

Louderman’s vocal talents have allowed her to take on a range of roles. Most notably, she played the Princess Amneris last November in MUSKET’s “Aida.” But even outside of the University, she has undertaken a number of roles in the Muny, including “Beauty and the Beast” and “Footloose.” In fact, she spent the early summer playing Margot in the Muny’s adaptation of “Legally Blonde, The Musical,” before she dropped out of the next play to begin her journey with “Bring it On.”

Despite her success, Louderman remains overwhelmed by the position she is in and the people she is now surrounded by. And rightfully so, since the musical features a Tony and Grammy Award-winning staff.

“There are days when I’m like — oh my gosh, I am going into this room with these Tony Award-winning people and I’m about to do this tour,” Louderman said. “Had this never happened, I would be back at school with my classmates.

“And I constantly go back and forth, but honestly, you just put your mind to what you need to do and all that goes away.”

Despite the ubiquitous nature of the “Bring It On” franchise, Louderman believes the musical has more to offer than any of the movies. She puts herself through taxing rehearsals to prepare for a role she believes requires the physical endurance of an athlete. The musical, which is based in the cheerleading world, will feature stunts that Louderman promises will leave the audience amazed.

“I don’t think I’ve ever seen a musical with this much wowing going on,” she said. “It’s something I never imagined I would have to do.”

Louderman understands why people might find musicals cheesy: When they aren’t done well, they don’t seem to contribute much to one’s cerebral needs. But she also acknowledges that a well-done musical has the power to leave an indelible mark on its audience.

“Every time I leave a show, I feel different — I feel changed,” Louderman said. “I think music is kind of a universal language. It can move you without you really even knowing, or without you realizing that’s what it’s trying to do.”

Correction Appended: “Bring It On: The Musical” is not adapted from any one of the “Bring It On” movies.