Guests shouldn’t be so rude.

The No. 10 Michigan women’s swimming and diving team finished third in its own Michigan Invitational this weekend at Canham Natatorium. No. 13 Indiana won the event with 1460.5 points, a whopping 386.5 points ahead of No. 19 Notre Dame and 408 ahead of Michigan. Illinois came in a distant fourth.

A throng of Hoosier faithful supporting its team with red and white pompoms made the trek to Ann Arbor and had plenty to celebrate as Indiana won 10-of-20 events and finished in the top three of all but one.

Comparatively, the Wolverines (3-2, 2-0 Big Ten) won just six events and missed the top three in six.

But the results didn’t bother Michigan coach Jim Richardson.

“We put in our hardest week of the season this week,” said Richardson, meaning that he was more concerned with seeing how his team responded to the training of the past couple of weeks.

“We had some swimmers just do awesome,” Richardson added.

Some of those awesome performances came from seniors Kaitlyn Brady and Lindsey Smith and sophomore Emily Brunemann. Brady and Smith formed a dynamic freestyle duo for Michigan.

Brady won the 50-yard freestyle and took second in the 100-yard freestyle that Smith won. Smith also picked up her own win in the 200-yard freestyle. Both swimmers were on the winning 400-yard freestyle relay and the 200-yard freestyle relay and the medley relay second-place teams.

Brady also ventured outside of freestyle and won the 100-yard butterfly.

Brunemann picked up a distance win for the Wolverines when she won the 1,650-yard freestyle.

“Beat up” is how Brady described the team’s condition after the long weeks of training, but she concurred with her coach in calling the meet a “success.”

The rigors the team went through began during winter break when the team embarked Dec. 26 on an eight-day trip to Puerto Rico and filled the six weeks between the Invitational and the team’s last meet (Dec. 2) at the Eastern Michigan Invitational.

“I wouldn’t call it a vacation,” said Richardson when describing how the team, trained twice a day.

The practices did not get easier when the Wolverines returned home because Richardson said the coaches wanted to see “how tough they are at the end of the week.”

The Michigan divers were once again led by junior Elyse Lee, who won the one-meter and finished second in the three-meter.

At last year’s Michigan Invitational the Wolverines lost by just nine points to Notre Dame and beat Illinois. Indiana was not present last year, and after this last meet, maybe Michigan hopes that will be true in the future.