YPSILANTI – The Michigan men’s swimming and diving team opened its season by dismantling Eastern Michigan Friday night before a partisan crowd at Jones Natatorium. Wolverines coach Jon Urbanchek, whose swimmers have never lost in 22 prior outings against the Eagles, said that the meet was a useful barometer of the coming season.

“This is a yardstick to see where we are,” Urbanchek said at poolside after the meet’s conclusion as the Wolverines swam cool-down laps in an otherwise empty natatorium.

In the meet’s first event, the 400-yard medley relay team comprised of seniors Jeff Hopwood and Garrett Mangieri and freshmen Chris Dejong and Davis Tarwater finished nearly five seconds ahead of the second-place Eagles with a time of 3:21.08. Michigan swimmers won 11 of the next 12 events, sweeping the top three places in five of those.

Mangieri turned in the meets most dominating performance, taking first place in the 50- and 100-yard freestyles with respective times of 20.94 and 46.05. Freshman Peter Vanderkay won the 500-yard freestyle in an NCAA consideration time of 4:27.20. Sophomore Brendan Neligan dominated the field in the 1000-yard freestyle, finishing nearly 18 seconds ahead of his closest Eastern Michigan competitor. Other Michigan first place finishers included Dan Ketchum, who captured the 200-yard free in 1:39.13, Jeff Hopwood, who won the 100-yard breastroke in 57.22, Zayd Ma, who prevailed in the 200-yard butterfly in 1:51.11 and Ryan Earhardt, who triumphed in the 200-yard backstroke in 1:50.64.

Junior Jason Coben took first place in 1-meter diving and second place in the 3-meter. His 3-meter score, however, merited NCAA consideration.

Urbanchek expressed satisfaction with several other individual performances.

“Mike Porth had a great meet. Nicholas Douville swam really well. Chris Dejong did a great job in leading off the medley relay and also in the individual freestyle,” Urbanchek said. “I was also really impressed by the freshmen class. They lived up to high expectations and challenged and then beat a team of upperclassmen in the 400-yard freestyle relay.”

The Wolverines’ competition will stiffen next week when they travel to Gainesville, Fla. to swim against a Florida team that placed fourth in last year’s NCAA swimming and diving championships. Urbanchek expressed confidence in the team’s upcoming season.

“We are a step ahead of last year’s ninth-place team, and we are going in the right direction,” Urbanchek said.