While working the night shift at In-N-Out Pizza, the convenience store and popular liquor depot among students, at 615 E. University Ave., store employee Kash Akhtar once sold eight cans of beer to a 21-year-old customer who planned to sneak the beer into a bar or restaurant.

The customer also bought a roll of duct tape.

Akhtar said the customer then asked him to help tape the beers one by one to the front of the customer’s chest. He helped the customer wrap the duct tape around his body.

When they were finished Akhtar said that it appeared that the customer had a bomb strapped to the front of his chest.

“I told him he looked like a suicide bomber,” Akhtar said.

Akhtar said he was not sure if the man was successful in his attempt to cut his bar tab.

Akhtar works Monday through Friday from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m., as well as one night shift each week. Akhtar, 31, said beer is the store’s biggest seller, but because he works the day shift he sells mostly diet soda, energy drinks and power bars.

He said that he enjoys working at In-N-Out because it is always entertaining.

Duane Najarian, the store’s manager, said that he has also seen many crazy things happen while people are waiting in line for pizza late at night.

Najarian said the store is best known for its $1 slices of cheese pizza.

Every weekend, he said there is a line for pizza out the door for at least two hours, usually between 1 and 3 a.m., and that beer is also a popular choice.

Najarian works an average of 60 hours a week, with double shifts during the day and night.

Once a week, only on weekends, Najarian’s 16-year-old son comes in to help his father in the store.

Najarian said his son only helps with cleaning or when there are long lines.

He said that the wildest thing he ever witnessed was when a drunken male customer, waiting in line inside the store, spotted an advertisement for beer featuring a female cutout on display.

According to Najarian, the customer grabbed the cutout and lay down on the floor on top of it.

Najarian said that the customer made out with the cutout for some time before standing up and saying, “She’s happy now.”

AMANDA MARKOWITZ

– Know a campus character worthy of a profile? E-mail suggestions to news@michigandaily.com.