By Seth Klempner

Daily Sports Writer

David Porter was the winner of the athletic department’s contest to design its inaugural season shirt. The industrial and graphic design major modeled the shirt with the wing of Michigan’s helmet on front in a borderless design, over a thin block ‘M.’

The junior kept the shirt yellow to remain consistent with the Maize Rage. He also placed several historical facts about the team on the back, sandwiched between lines reading, “Hail to the victors” and “Welcome to the Big House.”

Football coach Lloyd Carr, Athletic Director Bill Martin, several members of the athletic department and groups of students from the Michigan Student Assembly, the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee and last year’s Blue Out committee were involved in voting on the winning project. They selected Porter’s submission from a pool of approximately 50 applicants.

“I wanted to keep it simple,” Porter said of his design idea. “Michigan football represents tradition, and I hoped to represent that in my shirt.”

Students can order the shirts along with their football tickets no later than March 21. The shirts will cost students $10 when ordered with season tickets, in addition to the $142 cost of season tickets. If not purchased with season tickets, the shirts can also be purchased for $15 at the M-Den.

In reward for the winning design, Porter will receive free tickets for the 2003 season and have the opportunity to be on the field for a game next year.