TERRE HAUTE, Ind. “It was a C-minus day,” Michigan women”s cross country coach Mike McGuire said after the NCAA Great Lakes regional.

The women”s team wrapped up a mediocre season on Saturday with a disappointing seventh place finish.

“We didn”t get it done the way we hoped,” McGuire said. “By our standards, we didn”t do it today.”

The NCAA regional meet was dominated by No. 6 Michigan State, which easily beat second place Notre Dame with a low score of 58 points. Both the Spartans and the Fighting Irish earned automatic berths to the NCAA championships, which will take place in Greenville, South Carolina Nov. 19.

Following closely behind Notre Dame (124 pts) were Marquette (128 pts), Toledo (145 pts) and Wisconsin (159 pts).

Lindsey Gallo once again led the Wolverines, finishing 29th overall. The sophomore covered the six kilometer course in 21:54.

“Lindsey was off her game today,” McGuire said. “She ran much better at Big Tens.”

Gallo has consistently been the teams leading runner, and finished seventh at the Big Ten meet earlier this season.

Gallo “has improved tremendously from last year,” McGuire said. “She had a bad day today.” Junior Jeanne Spink ran a great race, finishing just behind Gallo in a time of 21:56.

“We got a good solid race out of Jeanne,” McGuire said. “She”s had a great year. This is someone who had never run a Big Ten meet or a regional meet.”

Another solid performance was turned in by senior Katie Ryan, who finished 41st with a time of 22:06.

Running fourth and fifth for the Wolverines were Andrea Parker and Rachel Sturtz, who finished 51st and 52nd, respectively, each running a time of 22:24.

The Wolverines have struggled with injury and inconsistency all season, and looks to improve dramatically next year.

“Given the circumstances, we”ve had a lot of good things happen,” McGuire said. “The benchmark is that we”re a team that is going to go to nationals. So this is a disappointment.”

The key, McGuire said, for next year is “getting redshirt kids into the line-up.”

This year two of Michigan”s top recruits, Emily Anderson and Chelsea Homan, came into the season unhealthy and were forced to redshirt.

Junior Jane Martineau also missed most of the season with hamstring problems, and Andrea Parker has nursed a sore Achilles tendon for the last month of the season.

“We need more of our people running healthy to be competitive,” McGuire said.

“As a team that is more middle distance oriented, we need to further develop their track skills to make them better cross runners.”

McGuire hopes to work on “mental and physical development” during the indoor track season to assure that they return to its previous level of success.