A study of University employee salaries has revealed that male faculty members earn 2 percent more than the average salary of their female counterparts.

The study, commissioned by former Provost Nancy Cantor, found an average 18 percent difference when other factors that affect salary were omitted. The report utilized models that included factors such as education and years employed with the University in order to find a more accurate average.

“The equations allow us to use factors such as number of years at the University, rank, time since degree and highest degree achieved to try and explain salary levels,” said Associate Provost Pamela Raymond, a professor of cell and development biology. “When you do this, you can assess the variables and compare the average salaries.”

According to the report, only 29 percent of female faculty members are professors, as compared to 59 percent of men, accounting for the 18 percent pay difference.

But the average number of years since a female faculty member has received her degree is 14 years, as compared to 20 years for men.

“We have had men for a lot longer than women. Few women were hired before 1975, most since 1985. There has been less of a time period to assess the quality of women,” said Mary Corcoran, lead researcher on the report and a professor of political science and women”s studies.

Of the models used for this study, one that did not consider rank and time in rank found a difference in salary of about 3 percent. A second model considered rank in addition to those factors and found a difference of around 1 percent.

According to the report, evidence that women are promoted more slowly than men has led the researchers to believe the difference to be about 2 percent.

Raymond stressed that this was merely an initial study. “We need to look further because this is the first step and this is far removed from actual salary,” Raymond said.

Further studies are under way within each college to utilize factors of individual performance. “We would expect a good deal of individual variation around the salary because individuals who are identical are likely to be different in terms of specific academic contributions,” the report states. The same study will be repeated on a periodic basis.

The initial study released this month comes during a national movement to expand gender awareness.

“Nationally there has been a great interest in gender equity at universities,” Raymond said. “There have been a greater number of studies done nationwide.”