For LSA sophomore John Cherian, finding a summer internship, on top of studying for exams and writing papers, has proven to be a hassle.

“I though it would be a lot easier than this,” Cherian said. “I”m having trouble getting stuff together.”

As the end of the semester grows closer, many students on campus are facing the question of where to work this summer. Regardless of field of study, the University offers multiple tools to assist in the job search. The Career Planning and Placement Center offers students multiple resources for finding summer employment, said Amy Hoag, coordinator of internship resources.

“We are more than happy to assist students in their search,” Hoag said. “We have a lot of different systems in place that connect employers and students.”

Hoag said the University offers a database of 1,500 employers that students are able to peruse through, depending on varying interests. CP&P also offers resume assistance and interview training.

Although the majority of employers are located in Michigan, Hoag said companies in the database come from all major cities throughout the nation.

“There”s a sense that our employers are very reputable,” she said. “It”s a really nice way for students to meet employers and find out about opportunities.”

Hoag said students need to focus less on the position and more on the experience. “The experience is better than the company name or title,” she said. “No matter what you”re doing, you are building skills.”

Cherian said he wants an internship to help him figure out his future career plans. “I”m not certain what I want to do with my life,” Cherian said. “If I get some experience it will help me figure out what I want to do.”

Although CP&P offers services to all students, most of the individual colleges at the University have programs to assist undergraduates in finding internships. For students in the College of Engineering, there is a separate career resource center. Director Cynthia Redwine said in addition to offering posted jobs, the center also offers assistance on how to retain employment and internships.

“We work with the students to prepare them for campus interviews,” Redwine said. “For students living away from home, we help them with questions about relocation.”

Redwine said the majority of students are juniors and seniors but she encourages undergraduates to familiarize themselves with the process early in their college career. “Part of our need is to market to undergraduate students,” Redwine said. “The last thing we want is for them to wait until their senior year.”

Engineering junior Mary Beth Bercaw said that although she plans to get a job on campus this summer, she hopes the resources on campus will help her in the future. “I think they could get more information out about it,” Bercaw said. “It”s so hard to find the company and go through them.”

In addition to resources on campus, the Internet offers individuals countless search engines for internships. For most, students can post their resume browse through postings.

Hoag couldn”t endorse specific sites but said it would be beneficial to students to use multiple resources such as the Internet. “It is wise to use many different tools to find an internship and get familiar with opportunities,” Hoag said. “There are a wide variety of internships that meet the needs of a student at the University.”

For students searching for internships, Allan Cotrone, director of the Business School”s Office of Career Development, offered this advice: “The hardest part is making it clear in your own mind what you want. Be clear to what you”re after and what you want in a position, and you”ll be much more secure in getting it.”