The third and fourth floors of the Van Duren House in Bursley Hall are littered with industrial fans and lined with caution tape, the lone remains of a flood that left roughly three dozen students without a place to stay late Friday night.

University Housing spokesman Peter Logan said the fans are being used to help soak up the water left by a damaged sprinkler in one of the rooms on the fourth floor.

Nearly all students displaced by the flood could return to their room early Saturday morning, Logan said, with just the residents of the two rooms directly connected to the sprinkler that started the flood left in temporary housing. Logan said their rooms should be ready this week.

Significant portions of the hallways affected by the water are still taped off, leaving limited access to the 18 damaged rooms.

Around 9:30 p.m. Friday night, a sprinkler in a room on the fourth floor of the Van Duren House went off, flooding the east wings of the third and fourth floors. The sprinklers triggered the fire alarms throughout the building, and students were forced to evacuate.

“It was like brown water everywhere,” LSA freshman Anne Berrenberger said. “It flooded the hallway and came into (our) room through the door.”

Berrenberger lives in the room directly connected to the room where the flood started, and said she won’t be allowed back into Bursley until Tuesday.

Berrenberger’s roommate, LSA freshman Jenny Nowierski, said they have both been staying in a friend’s room since Friday.

All of the residents whose rooms were not affected by the water returned to their rooms within a half hour. Those in the affected hallways returned to their rooms around 12:30 a.m. to collect some of their belongings, but were advised not to sleep there.

“All of the rooms should be dried out by Monday,” Logan said. “The room where the sprinkler actually detonated will take significantly more cleanup. It could take several days to a week, but there is no permanent damage.”

Most of the rooms do not have permanent damage and fans are being used to dry them out, Logan said.

The fans are expected to run continuously for the next few days, Logan said.

The effects of the damage ranged from only a few drops to over an inch of standing water.

“We had standing water,” LSA freshman Jamie Burghdoff said. “The water came down. We lost the carpeting.”