Starting at 5 p.m. Monday evening, students began to line up outside the Michigan Union to secure their spot for tickets for President Barack Obama’s Wednesday address on campus, forming a line of nearly 1,000 that traveled from the Union’s side entrance to the Kelsey Archaeology museum.

At 10:30 that morning Tuesday morning, an hour and a half after tickets started being distributed, the ticket office announced it was out of tickets and shut down, turning away 50 to 60 students who were still in line. Obama will make his third visit to campus during his presidency to discuss his proposal to raise federal minimum wage from $7.25 to $10.10 an hour.

LSA seniors Janani Naidu and Srilatha Eadara, who waited in line for about an hour and a half before being turned away, said while they were disappointed to be turned away, but they understood their late arrival in relation to others would result in this manner.

“It wasn’t horrible, but it’s sad because we were right here,” Naidu said. “We were so excited when we got into the building.”

It was unclear exactly how many students received tickets. Michigan Union Director Susan Pile said for security reasons, the White House was not releasing information regarding the exact number of tickets to the event.

However, she said everyone who camped out overnight and received a voucher in line in the early hours of the morning was able to get a ticket, as well as some students who showed up later in the morning after vouchers were done being passed out.

LSA freshman Stuart Inahuazo, who had camped out since 2 a.m. early Tuesday morning, said after receiving his ticket, the long wait was worth it.

“After all the rain and cold, it feels great,” Inahuazo said.

LSA juniors Qisi Yao and Briahna Anders, who came at 7:30 a.m., said they were unsure they were going to get tickets, but were excited they did.

“It’s just nice to see a current president,” Anders said. “It’s a cool event.”

Pile, whose staff ran the ticketing process, said she thought the process went very well.

“The students were awesome,” Pile said. “I think they were excited, they were energized about being there, and I think overall very appreciative of the opportunity to get a chance to hear President Obama.”

LSA senior Anne Krema, who started camping out at 11:30 p.m. Monday night, said she thought that the line was fairly calm and orderly throughout the night and morning.

“There was kind of an understanding among the people in the line — some people tried to cut when the line was moving slow, but everyone yelled at them,” Krema said. “We’ve all been in here all night, so people for the most part are in an understanding about that.”

Monday night, Engineering senior Anshul Mehta cited an unofficial numbering system started by students that he said worked well, though he added that he wished University staff had created an official line or numbering system.

“Right now it’s just a bunch of kids trying to get order, and that doesn’t always work at four in the morning,” Mehta said. “That said, this numbering system is working.”

While the Obama’s remarks will begin at 2:30 p.m., doors will open at 12:30 p.m. University spokesperson Rick Fitzgerald said the University is confident that everyone who received a ticket will be able to get a spot, despite some initial student concern about a clause on the tickets saying they do not guarantee admission.

“Honestly, I just want to get a selfie with the president in the background,” Mehta said.