NEW YORK – New York University junior Elizabeth Loomis isn’t sure what she will be doing to commemorate the one-year anniversary of the terrorist attacks.

“Right after, (the attacks) it changed a lot,” she said. Some of her friends were evacuated from their residence hall, and her classes held discussions about the attacks.

This year there will be numerous vigils and ceremonies at NYU, and several designated spots on campus have been chosen as places for students to gather and reflect.

But yesterday, students went about their lives, sunning themselves, chatting over lunch and quietly reading homework in Washington Square Park, the site where a year ago today many of them stood and looked south watching as smoke billowed from the Twin Towers.

In the days after the World Trade Center collapsed, visitors and students alike covered canvases in the park with messages of support and strength.

But there was little sign of any of that yesterday during the day.

Yesterday evening, several campus groups held a candlelight vigil and protest in the park. The theme – peace – was something present in last year’s canvases, which in many places juxtaposed pictures of doves with threats against Osama bin Laden.

The event was meant to remember the loss of last year and “to take a stance and stop killing in the names of those who died at the World Trade Center,” said NYU alum Osage Bell.

Protest signs among the crowd decried President Bush’s policy on Iraq, and one protester carried a large cut-out of a dove. Candles were handed out to the crowd, and lanterns were also lit.

“I feel like it’s about showing publicly that as Americans and people who care very much about our country we are not in support of what our country is doing in our names,” said Anna Lappe, a 28-year-old author.

“It’s easy to feel alone in my frustration about how the U.S. responded to Sept. 11, and to be around all these other people who share my belief that we will not find peace through waging war the way we have” brings a sense of comfort, she added.