After a University student suffered severe shock at the Central
Campus Recreation Building last weekend, the University has taken
the precautionary step of removing cleaning solution and towels
used in the building, said Diane Brown, spokeswoman for the
Department of Occupational Safety and Environmental Health.

Laura Wong
LSA freshman Stephanie Canning works out on a stationary bike at the Central Campus Recreational Building yesterday afternoon.

The female student, who suffered an episode of anaphylactic
shock that can be linked to allergies, was taken from the CCRB to
the University Hospital Saturday night.

“We have no clear-cut evidence to tie it to the rec
building, but as a precaution we are going through the
investigative steps. Part of the interview said she had come into
contact with several things at the CCRB, including the solution and
towel,” Brown said.

OSEH was brought in to begin an investigation after a second
person reported similar symptoms, Brown said. But after numerous
attempts by OSEH to make contact “in multiple ways,”
Brown said the department has been unable to reach the person.

Until OSEH can certify that more than one person suffered
similar symptoms after an encounter at the CCRB, they cannot
confirm that the illness is related to the victim’s trip to
the building, Brown said.

But as a precautionary measure, towels and cleaning solution
have been replaced at the CCRB and North Campus Recreation
Building.

Anaphylactic shock can occur when an individual has a severe
allergy, but Brown said OSEH cannot release health details about
the victim, such as allergy information.

“You would think that if something were directly
attributable to the CCRB, you would have many more people who were
having a problem. At the same token, we did have a report, so
we’re doing an investigation,” Brown said.

“We take the reports seriously. But we do have to have
some sort of pattern to be able to make a definitive
conclusion,” she added.

“There are so many people who come into that building,
there are going to be those types of accidents or problems that
happen at some point while they’re there,” said Webb,
who also serves as building director of the CCRB.

Deb Webb, senior associate of Recreational Sports explained that
in a situation like this, “Risk Management will contact OSEH
and they will come in and check in the building, and work very
closely with them and get feedback about what they think about the
situation.”

Because OSEH recommended the removal of the cleaning solutions,
Webb said they have all been removed from the CCRB and North Campus
Recreation Building. Solution has not been removed from the
Intramural Sports Building because the facility uses a different
product.

In case of a medical emergency, Webb said all student
supervisors are trained in first aid, CPR and the use of automated
external defibrillator devices. If a visitor feels sick while
exercising, Webb said they can contact staff at the desk or in the
equipment rooms.

Kinesiology senior Meg Bachelor, who works at the CCRB in an
equipment room, said she deals with minor injuries like cuts but
would direct a more serious injury to building supervisors.

“When I’m working at the main entrance I see more of
it, because you know, people twist an ankle playing basketball.
That’s about all I see. I never really see anyone needing
crutches. Usually people just ask for ice for something,”
Bachelor said.

The CCRB has undergone recent renovations, specifically to its
cardiovascular exercise rooms on the lower level. Webb said no
connection has been made between the building’s renovations
and Saturday’s incident. She estimated about $400,000 has
been put into the building during the renovations, which she said
are expected to be complete by early October.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *