After registering for classes on Wolverine Access, LSA junior Jen Dakki said she didn”t expect to have a problem getting into Economics 323.

“I was pretty confident because I was first on the waitlist,” Dakki said. “But it turns out that there was glitch in Wolverine Access that told everyone on the waitlist they were first.

“There were 120 people on the waitlist, all of whom assumed they would have a spot in the class. I ended up having to CRISP into a random class that doesn”t count for any of my requirements because I couldn”t get into the class,” she added.

LSA freshman Julie Swistak said she was equally frustrated registering for the term.

“There were more people on the waitlist for my freshman seminar than were enrolled in the class it was ridiculous,” Swistak said.

Dakki and Swistak are not alone. LSA junior Raphael Jackson is a communications major but said he has not been able to get into Communications 211 a requirement for the concentration.

“The communications department says that concentrators should complete Comm 211 by the end of their sophomore year,” Jackson said. “It is the end of my junior year now and I have been trying to get into the class since I was a sophomore. There are so many people who want to take the classes and not enough spots.”

In fact, the communications department has more concentrators per faculty member than any other LSA department.

But communications department Chairman Mike Traugott said the department is doing everything it can to accommodate students. “All of our courses have very high enrollment and very long wait lists. We reserve 50 percent of the spots in our upper-level classes for concentrators and we hold back spaces until later CRISP dates in our intro classes so that freshmen and sophomores can enroll,” Traugott said.

Like the communications department, the psychology department has had problems placing students in the classes they need to complete their degree.

Justine Altman, an LSA junior employed in the psychology department, said she receives “lots of complaints” from students who cannot get into their classes.

“It is a problem for our 1,200 concentrators and non-concentrators alike,” Altman said. “We never have enough spots. Rarely does a student call who has no other options we can usually help them. But the only real way to fix the problem is to hire more faculty and GSIs. The faculty just isn”t there.”

Traugott said he also recognizes the necessity to make additions to the 12-member communications department faculty, but the process of acquiring quality professors, he said, is long and tedious. “No department can hire many faculty at once,” Traugott said, “It is important to hire quality professors. We are working on it.”