While Miley Cyrus’ twerking has captivated the nation, it has produced a dialogue that explores larger themes of feminism and diversity.

A group of students came together to discuss pop stars including Cyrus, Robin Thicke and Lily Allen from feminist and Black perspectives Sunday night in Couzens Residence Hall.

A central topic of the panel was Cyrus’s treatment of her sexuality during her talked-about MTV Video Music Awards performance. Panelists specifically addressed the criticism she received for grinding on married singer Robin Thicke, who escaped criticism for the incident by claiming he was the “twerkee.”

LSA sophomore Sydney Morgan-Green said Cyrus should not have received all of the blame for the incident.

“If he had an issue with it he could have walked away.” Morgan-Green said. “I just think it’s a cop-out to blame it all on her when he was also at the performance and there had to be some type of discussion about this.”

The panel discussed Cyrus’s use of Black women in her music videos, and why she often receives more heat for their use than artists like Eminem or Macklemore. LSA sophomore Cherima Chungag said Cyrus receives more criticism because she uses Black women as props and over-sexualizes them more than other artists do.

Earlier in November, British pop star Lily Allen released her new song and music video for “Hard Out Here,” which featured Black women dancing provocatively in thongs. Panelists said while the video was meant to be a parody of Cyrus’s videos and support feminism, it did just the opposite.

LSA freshman Liz Brennen said while Allen issued an apology for the choice of predominantly Black women as provocative dancers, her use of them was not the main problem with the video.

“At the end of the day, Lily Allen as a White woman can walk away from the issue of race, and the Black women can’t,” Brennen said.

The last question in the discussion asked how the cultural misappropriation advocated in videos like those of Cyrus and Allen affect campus life. The recent incident with the University’s chapter of theTheta Xi fraternity immediately came to students’ minds. One student read the party invite aloud, which told people to come dressed as rappers, gangsters, thugs, basketball players and “bad bitches” and quoted lyrics of the rapper Drake.

Trey Boynton, University Housing director of diversity and inclusion, said the fact that these images immediately call Black people to mind reflects the culture in the United States.

“There’s not enough representation and different stories and different narratives to be able to think of rap being a multicultural drama,” Boynton said. “The messages around Blackness are very concrete and focused, especially in the case of society’s women. How you are either contributing or writing a counter narrative to that is always what we need to be thinking about.”

Students also brought up the recent Twitter trend #BBUM that sought to give a voice to Black students on campus.

Brennen said she was appalled when she saw that many students said the statements Black students tweeted about were not real problems. She added that it is the responsibility of White students to address how they may have participated in racist comments.

“I got so angry just watching it because you’re trying to silence other people’s experiences,” Brennen said.