Location, location, location was the catchphrase for a small group of students who came to “rant” on North Campus last night.

About 15 students attended “The North Campus Rant: The Good, The Bad, and The Dude!” — a University event where students were encouraged to express their likes, dislikes and ideas for improving North Campus. The most common desires students expressed to see in the campus’s future are more social activities, efficient transportation and accessibility to resources.

Student and staff volunteers who facilitated the event at Pierpont Commons sat down with the students to discuss the area that some students refer to as a “satellite campus.” The volunteers were gathering data for the North Campus Initiative, a project started by Royster Harper, the University’s vice president for student affairs, which intends to find ways to make North Campus more attractive for students.

Loren Rullman, the University’s associate vice president for student affairs, said in an interview at the event that he admires the vast amount of academic and artistic activities that take place on North Campus.

“There’s lots of incredible research going on here. Students are engaged,” Rullman said. “I think of this campus as an expressive campus … It’s a campus where things are being made.”

However, Rullman said North Campus has some problems, which students have complained about, including transportation to and from the area and accessibility to buildings. He added that some facilities on North Campus need updates.

“We know that our recreational sports facilities need improvement,” Rullman said. “We hear that from students.”

Public Policy senior Stephanie Parrish, a facilitator at the event, said getting to North Campus can be a hassle.

“There’s not a convenient way to get to the things that are happening,” Parrish said. “If you have a busy schedule, and you have an hour, it’s not worth it to ride the 20-minute bus ride.”

It’s important North Campus is “rebranded,” Parrish said.

“It’s a culture change,” Parrish said. “… There’s already that culture that North Campus is weird and far.”

Kinesiology senior Andrew Benintende said he goes to North Campus because it has quiet study spaces. However, many of the buildings he likes to frequent aren’t accessible to non-engineering students.

“Open up those buildings,” Benintende said. “You can’t get in here on the weekends.”

LSA senior Cameron McKnight said she regularly enjoys the fine arts shows on North Campus, but is concerned the events aren’t widely promoted.

“I’ve never seen an advertisement for one that I remember,” McKnight said.

She added that more parking on North Campus would encourage upperclassmen to make the trip.

Public Policy junior Chris Sorenson said he thinks the campus should have more activities for students.

“I think one way to increase the liveliness of North Campus is to add social events,” Sorenson said.

Elizabeth Zollweg, project manager of the North Campus Initiative, said she thinks the event drew only a small crowd since it was planned recently, leaving the group little time to fully market the event. Despite the low turnout, Zollweg said it was important to hold the event before students began to study for finals and became too busy.

— Andrew Schulman contributed to this report.