When classes got out last April, many students felt parking in Ann Arbor was a serious problem. This fall, it seems to have gotten worse.

The City of Ann Arbor has begun issuing $25 parking tickets to cars without residential permits parked on the streets in North Burns Park, and next month it plans to enforce the same rules in the Oxbridge neighborhood, a measure that has hit many students who are used to parking in the neighborhoods.

Last May, Ann Arbor residents living in the two neighborhoods petitioned the city for changes in residential parking. They requested that all parking spots in the two neighborhoods become two-hour parking from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Sunday, except for residents with city-issued permits.

City Council approved the restrictions at their meeting on July 25, despite vehement opposition from Michigan Student Assembly officials and members of nearby fraternities, who urged the Council to wait until students were back in town to voice their opinions on the issue. LSA junior Stuart Wagner, a former MSA representative, symbolically presented the Council with ear-plugs, because he said he felt they were not listening to the opinions of student-elected representatives.

At the following City Council meeting, student leaders from MSA and the LSA Student Government urged the council to amend the resolution to allow residents of group houses in the area, such as fraternity or sorority houses, to apply for 12 passes instead of eight, and for residents to be allowed to apply for six passes instead of four. Under the current restrictions, residents of group houses in the area can only apply for eight parking passes, and residential houses can only apply for four. The Council did not amend the resolution to accommodate this request.

Councilman Leigh Greden (D