A male University student reported being robbed by two armed men at 1:30 a.m. yesterday morning near Stockwell Residence Hall, said Department of Public Safety spokeswoman Diane Brown.

A crime alert issued about the incident yesterday by DPS comes at a time of heightened awareness following last week”s alert regarding the sexual assault of a West Quad resident.

Brown said the robbery victim was returning home after stopping at an automatic teller machine when one of the perpetrators put his hand around his neck and a blunt object up against his back.

The victim told DPS one of the subjects asked, “Where is your money?” while the other subject reached into the victim”s pocket, removed his wallet and took $60 in cash.

The crime alert stated the two perpetrators fled the scene toward South University Avenue.

Brown said crime alerts are issued when there is the possibility of a threat to the general public.

“We send out crime alerts when there is a crime committed against a person,” she said. “This armed robbery would fit that category.”

Brown added that usually a description of a suspect is needed before a crime alert is issued.

“We need to have something to warn people about,” she said. However, she added that it is rare when victims are unable to give some sort of description of their assailants.

Crime alerts are not issued for date-rape cases or instances when the perpetrator can be identified, Brown said.

Despite yesterday”s incident, few students expressed concern for their safety at ATMs located on campus.

“I always look around and make sure that no one is creeping up on me, but I have always felt pretty safe,” said LSA senior Andrew Hegle.

The crime alert described one of the suspects in yesterday”s robbery as a black male, approximately 22 years old and wearing baggy clothes. The other suspect was described as a 23- or 24-year-old white male with short hair and a goatee.

Anyone with information about to this incident is asked to contact DPS at 763-1131.