BEMIDJI, Minn. (AP) — A high school student went on a shooting rampage on this Indian reservation yesterday, killing his grandparents at their home and then seven people at his school, “grinning and waving” as he fired, authorities and witnesses said. The gunman was later found shot to death.

It was the nation’s worst school shooting since the Columbine massacre in 1999.

Students pleaded with the gunman to stop shooting.

“You could hear a girl saying, ‘No, Jeff, quit, quit. Leave me alone. What are you doing?’ ” Sondra Hegstrom told The Pioneer of Bemidji, using the name of the suspected shooter.

Before the shootings at Red Lake High School, the suspect’s grandparents were shot in their home and died later. There was no immediate indication of the gunman’s motive.

Six students including the gunman were killed at the school, along with a teacher and a security guard, FBI spokesman Paul McCabe said at a news conference in Minneapolis.

Fourteen to 15 other students were injured, McCabe said. Some were being cared for in Bemidji, about 20 miles south of Red Lake. Authorities closed roads to the reservation in far northern Minnesota while they investigate the shootings.

Hegstrom described the gunman grinning and waving at a student his gun was pointed at, then swiveling to shoot someone else. “I looked him in the eye and ran in the room, and that’s when I hid,” she told The Pioneer.

McCabe declined to talk about a possible connection between the suspect and the couple killed at the home, but Red Lake Fire Director Roman Stately said they were the grandparents of the shooter. He identified the shooter’s grandfather as Daryl Lussier, a longtime officer with the Red Lake Police Department, and said Lussier’s guns may have been used in the shootings.

Stately said the shooter had two handguns and a shotgun.

“After he shot a security guard, he walked down the hallway shooting and went into a classroom where he shot a teacher and more students,” Stately told Minneapolis television station KARE.

Students and a teacher, Diane Schwanz, said the shooter tried to break down a door to get into her classroom.

“I just got on the floor and called the cops,” Schwanz told the Pioneer. “I was still just half-believing it.”

Ashley Morrison, another student, had taken refuge in Schwanz’s classroom. With the shooter banging on the door, she dialed her mother on her cell phone. Her mother, Wendy Morrison, said she could hear gunshots on the line.

“’Mom, he’s trying to get in here and I’m scared,’” Ashley Morrison told her mother.

All of the dead students were found in one room. One of them was a boy believed to be the shooter, McCabe said. He would not comment on reports that the boy shot himself and said it was too early to speculate on a motive.