Few organizations have found sufficient cover from the fallout of the nation’s economic downturn and student groups on campus are no different.

With students forced to budget more carefully, some campus organizations are facing decreased recruitment and a lack of funds.

Lisa Averill, the treasurer for the Michigan Student Assembly, said rising numbers of funding requests from various student organizations are overwhelming MSA’s Budget Priorities Committee and Community Service Commission, the two MSA committees that allocate funds for organizations on campus.

“Right now, we absolutely have had to explore where we could pull money from to fund the massive influx of legitimate, well-filled out BPC/CSC applications,” she wrote in an e-mail.

Averill, an LSA junior, added that the primary reason for this flood of funding applications is decreased participation in campus groups, especially those with membership fees.

“With lower recruitment, these organizations have to reach out even more to fund their events, and given the current state of the economy, that can be quite difficult,” she wrote in an e-mail.

But the Indian American Student Association, which doesn’t charge a membership fee, has also been feeling the effects of the struggling economy in other ways, according to Ross School of Business junior Anuj Lal, the group’s logistics coordinator.

“We have a 3-on-3 basketball tournament coming up in April and the cost for renting the IM Building went up by almost $300 from last year,” he said. “When we asked them about the price increase, they said it was the economy.”

Rachel Goldstein, the chair of American Movement for Israel, said that AMI hasn’t felt the effects of the economic crisis yet because it has grant commitments from before the economic crisis hit.

“So far, things have been ok,” she said. “But it’s possible that we will feel the effects next semester.”

Goldstein added that the group will have to “think out of the box” to continue to fund its programming.

Encompass, an organization that aims to bring together multicultural performance groups, has been hit especially hard by the struggling economy.

Ani Toumajan, one of the group’s executive board members, said ticket sales for the group’s main event — a charity performance that took place last Sunday — fell far below previous years.

“It was barely enough to pay for the venue,” she said. “We are lucky to have funds that we have saved in order to pay for other costs.”

Toumajan said she attributed the poor turnout to strained budgets, especially those outside of Ann Arbor who had to drive to the show.

She said the group will have to find more creative ways to fundraise and advertise for next year’s show in order to stay afloat.

“Next year, however, there is definitely going to be a change,” she said. “We have to fundraise or apply for grants from different University organizations and programs.”

Though many groups have been forced to cut back, the University’s chapter of Relay For Life hasn’t been affected, banking more fundraising dollars and recruiting more participants than last year, said co-chair Chris Britten, an LSA senior.

“Despite the economy, we set our goals for this year’s fundraising at the highest point they have ever been so our event can keep growing,” Britten said. “I think we may still reach those numbers.”