The charges against Heys were dropped three weeks after this article ran. For more coverage, click here

A student in the School of Dentistry faces jail time for allegedly hijacking a taxi and hitting University alum Aaron Eleby at the corner of South State and Arch streets early Saturday morning, police said.

After spending the evening at a local bar, David Heys and another man got into a Yellow Cab taxi and asked to be taken to Fraser’s Pub on Packard Street, the driver of the taxi told Ann Arbor Police Department.

During the drive, Heys asked the driver to turn onto Mary Street. Heys then allegedly put his hand in his coat pocket and pointed at the driver as if he had a gun. The cab driver told police he stopped the taxi and Heys ordered him out. Once Heys drove away, the cab driver called the police.

Heys lost control of the taxi while turning onto State Street. The car spun around, drove onto the curb and struck Eleby, who suffered minor injuries.

Eleby spent the night at the University Hospital.

Kinesiology junior Jamie Tirrell, who was walking with Eleby to her apartment at the time of the accident, said she heard the taxi’s tires screech as it whipped around the corner. Then she saw it veer in her direction.

“Aaron and I both jumped,” she said. “I was just lucky enough to have jumped in the right direction.”

After hitting Eleby, the taxi sped away, only to be found by police moments later on the 1400 block of White Street. Police arrested Heys at East Stadium Boulevard and Park Street soon after.

AAPD Sgt. Richard Kinsey said that although the taxi driver identified Heys as the carjacker, Heys denied any connection with the accident. Heys could not be reached for comment.

Heys was arraigned Sunday for felony charges of larceny, carjacking and hitting a pedestrian.

He was also charged with a misdemeanor for leaving the scene of an accident that resulted in an injury.

Heys, who was released on 10 percent of a $20,000 bond, has a preliminary hearing on Feb. 21.

It is unclear whether Heys was intoxicated. Kinsey said police didn’t test his blood alcohol level because the other charges were so serious.

“It’s like having a body in your trunk when you’re pulled over for a speeding ticket,” Kinsey said.

A man who claims to have been in the cab with Heys turned himself in to police earlier this week, but police wouldn’t discuss what the man told them.

Kinsey said there were discrepancies between the man’s account and the cab driver’s.