On Friday, Michigan defensive back Marlin Jackson was charged with felonious assault for hitting a 26-year-old man in the head with a bottle, according to Washtenaw County Court records.

The charge stems back to an incident that occurred early on the morning of June 1, according to a report by the Detroit Free Press. Police reports state Jackson – a junior in the fall – struck the man after he left a party at 827 E. University.

“The allegations against Marlin Jackson are serious,” Michigan football coach Lloyd Carr said in a statement. “The facts will speak to the truth of the charges and to the resolution that will be determined.”

If convicted, the Sharon, Pa. native faces up to four years in prison and a $2,000 fine.

The victim told police that at the party he accidentally ran a door into Jackson. Although nothing happened immediately following the mishap, when the victim left the house, Jackson retaliated. Accompanied by two men, the victim said Jackson approached him and struck him with the bottle. The victim sustained three cuts around his left eye, including one that necessitated 17 stitches. The victim could not identify his assailant, but told police that it was the same man who he had accidentally hit with the door.

One week later, on June 8, the victim saw Jackson leaving Rick’s American CafZ and informed a nearby policeman that he had found his attacker. When confronted by the officer, Jackson initially denied any altercation with the victim. Later Jackson admitted he attended the party and had a run-in with the victim, but said he never struck him with a bottle.

A message and a fax were left with Jackson’s attorney Chris Easthope.

Last week, Jackson was selected as a leading candidate for the Jim Thorpe Award, presented annually to the nation’s top defensive back. Also, at Big Ten meetings in Chicago, the media named the 20-year-old the preseason Conference Defensive Player of the Year. In 2002, Jackson earned Associated Press second team All-America honors and set a Michigan record in pass breakups with 18.

At the Big Ten conference, Carr announced Jackson would switch from cornerback to free safety for the season opener against Central Michigan.

“Three of the four best players on our team are Marcus Curry, Jeremy LeSueur and Marlin Jackson, and I want them all in the game at the same time,” Carr said.