A University student was assaulted and robbed outside the Michigan Union early Sunday morning, the University Department of Public Safety reported yesterday.

The robbery occurred at approximately 2:30 a.m. Sunday, said Diane Brown, the spokeswoman for the University”s Department of Public Safety.

The victim was pushed into the alcove of the north doors of the Union and was then punched in the stomach by two of the three suspects, DPS reports stated. The suspects stole $45 from the male subject and then fled the area on foot.

DPS reports stated two of the suspects were black males about 19-20 years in age and 5″11″” in height. Neither of the male suspects had facial hair. The third suspect was a black female about 19-20 years in age and approximately 5″10″” in height. Brown said there were no eyewitnesses to the incident.

The incident prompted DPS to issue a crime alert flyer, a brightly colored bulletin warning students to exercise increased caution. DPS typically issues these whenever they believe students could be at risk.

“After that knowledge I still feel safe,” said LSA junior Brian Grafstrom. “Stuff is going to happen, but I am willing to take my chances. I am not going to let a random event change the way I live my life.”

Brown said she does not feel there should be great concern on campus following the robbery. In fact, she said, the campus has been fairly quiet in light of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, she said.

“People are much more somber and officers have reported that students have been getting in much earlier,” she said.

Timothy Lewer, an LSA freshman, said he does feel safe on campus but still takes certain precautions when he is out late at night.

“When I do go out I am with all of my buddies,” he said.

Michelle McGivern, a Social Work graduate student, said it is especially important for women to use common sense when considering their safety.

“Women should not walk alone after dark,” she said. “And if you do it is important to protect yourself by carrying a whistle or keys in your hand.”

Brown pointed out that emergency phones are readily available on campus when students might be in danger.

“Any time a student feels threatened they should call the police,” she said. “All you have to do is pick up the phone. You don”t even have to dial the number.”

Caryn Taylor, an LSA sophomore, said she feels safe on campus when she sees DPS cars drive by. However, she did recognize the risks of attending a large university.

“The fear is always there especially with a large campus,” she said.

Anyone with information about Sunday”s robbery at the Union is asked to contact DPS at 763-1131. The incident remains under investigation.

Michael Gazdecki contributed to this report for the Daily.