The Michigan basketball coaching shuffle is over. It began with Michigan women’s basketball coach Cheryl Burnett’s March 6 retirement. It ended Monday when Kevin Borseth accepted the women’s basketball head coaching position, a week after John Beilein took the men’s job.

Jessica Boullion
Borseth

Athletic Director Bill Martin issued an official statement to announce Borseth’s hiring yesterday.

“We are excited about the future of the Michigan women’s basketball program with Kevin as head coach,” Martin said in the statement. “He knows how to teach and coach and he has the ability to motivate student-athletes as players and people.”

Borseth was the women’s head coach at the University of Wisconsin at Green Bay for the past nine seasons, compiling a 216-62 record, eight 20-win seasons and nine first-place finishes in the conference.

The Bessemer, Mich. native is no stranger to postseason play, either. Wisconsin-Green Bay played in a postseason tournament every season under Borseth. The Phoenix made seven NCAA Tournament appearances, including two trips to the second round, and they competed twice in the Women’s National Invitational Tournament.

Before that, Borseth spent 11 seasons as head coach at Michigan Tech, finding similar success there. Accumulating 225 total wins, Borseth coached the Huskies all the way to the NCAA D-II Final Four in the 1992-93 season.

In his career, Borseth has coached in a postseason tournament in all but five seasons.

“This is a moment that I’ve thought about my entire life,” Borseth said in a statement released yesterday by the athletic department. “I’ve always been a Michigan man. I grew up in Michigan and I’ve bled the colors maize and blue.”

According to Wisconsin-Green Bay Director of Athletics Ken Bothof, Michigan nabbed the right coach for the job.

“We want to thank Kevin for his role in making our women’s basketball program one that is recognized on a national level,” Bothof said in a statement released by the Wisconsin-Green Bay athletic department. “Kevin’s success goes beyond his wins and losses.”

Borseth has already lured an assistant coach steeped in Division II success. Dawn Plitzuweit – former head coach at perennial Division II powerhouse Grand Valley State – will join the Wolverines as associate head coach.

Plitzuweit won a Division II National Championship in the 2005-06 season and won 117 games in just five seasons at Grand Valley. She also worked as Wisconsin-Green Bay’s top assistant and recruiting consultant and will be reunited with her former boss at Michigan.

The new coaching staff will look to reenergize a program that has won just 10 Big Ten games over the last four seasons.

The Wolverines won 35 total games during that span.

Neither Borseth nor Plitzuweit were made available for comment yesterday. A press conference is scheduled for Friday at noon.