It was cool to be uncool at the near-sold-out Foo Fighters/Weezer concert at Joe Louis Arena Friday night. The audience was a mix of middle schoolers whose first taste of Weezer was “Beverly Hills” and college students who showed up in hopes of hearing the older, better Foo Fighters and Weezer hits that showed them the way during their dark teenage years. For some fans this was their first concert with the two music greats, but others probably couldn’t count the number of times they’ve seen them live.

The show kicked off with a tight set by up-and-comers Kaiser Chiefs, who performed the infectious tunes that lace their debut album, Employment. Even though the arena was just starting to fill up, the indie outfit gave it their all.

The concert gained momentum as Weezer, fronted by emo-chic Rivers Cuomo (sans the signature glasses) took the stage. Deafening cheers and screams turned to laughter and applause as the band made their entrance to “When You Wish Upon a Star,” referencing the title of their latest album, Make Believe.

Weezer then went into “My Name is Jonas,” off their ’94 self-titled debut. As the song came to a close, Cuomo and co. immediately launched into their next song – the slower, introspective “Peace” from their latest disc. Even though the crowd’s energy level was taken down a notch, they loved the song choice and sang every word.

Throughout the set, Cuomo and the rest remained fairly stationary, and the audience interaction was minimal. One exception was when Cuomo joked that he was practicing a new song but refused to play it because the audience “would record it, put it on the Internet and be sick of it before the album came out.” Instead, he played “El Scorcho” and ditched his guitar in favor of slightly awkward dance moves.

Cuomo shared the spotlight with his fellow bandmates. While he stayed back at the drums, bassist Scott Shriner lent his vocals to “Dope Nose,” guitarist Brian Bell shined on “Why Bother?” and drummer Patrick Wilson rocked “Photograph/Song 2,” a Blur cover.

The highlights of the set were Weezer’s rousing rendition of “Big Me,” a Foo Fighters classic, as well as an acoustic “Island in the Sun,” during which Cuomo sang on a platform on the floor of the arena.

The set was a perfect mix of old and new Weezer hits. “Say It Ain’t So,” “This is Such a Pity,” “Hash Pipe” and “Surf Wax America” were all received with enthusiasm. The set came to a close with a member of the audience playing “Undone – The Sweater Song” with the band. It ended with “Buddy Holly.”

By the time the Foo Fighters took the stage, the crowd at Joe Louis reached its peak. The opening number “In Your Honor,” off their new album of the same name, set the tone for their set. Frontman Dave Grohl screamed the lyrics to every song, almost to the point of making them incomprehensible.

The Foos tore through a highly energetic set, playing a collection of old as well as new hits, among them “All My Life,” “Everlong,” “Best of You” and “Times Like These.” Excellent song choices paired with Grohl’s uncommon stage presence left little to be desired. Some of the best moments were Grohl’s playful interactions with the audience. At one point, he called for dramatic lighting and when a spotlight was placed on him, declared it a “Creed moment.”

During “Stacked Actors,” Grohl found himself in the same spot on the floor where Cuomo did an acoustic “Island in the Sun,” much to the audience’s enjoyment. Also similar to Cuomo, Grohl stepped into the drummer’s shoes during the mellower “Cold Day in the Sun” while Taylor Hawkins provided vocals.

The night ended with full audience participation on “Money Wrench” while Grohl showed off his impressive skills by playing guitar behind his back. If this concert was any indication, Weezer and the Foo Fighters show no signs of a diminishing fanbase. If anything, it served to reinforce old loyalties and create even more dedicated fans.