Sometimes cop shows are awesome. Scripted ones like “Law & Order” or “CSI” are often riveting, but even reality crime shows like “COPS” can reveal the scum of the earth and the men in uniform that take ’em down. “Steven Seagal: Lawman” is a brilliant twist on this type of reality series because Seagal is “a lifelong practitioner of martial arts … trained to remain calm in the face of adversity and danger.” Yes, please. It’s like “COPS” with more drama and a star with an ego that begs to not be taken seriously.

“Steven Seagal: Lawman”

Wednesdays at 10 p.m.
A&E

Steven Seagal is an actor, director, martial artist and now a deputy sheriff. Having hit his peak of fame at around the same time as Arnold Schwarzenegger, Seagal is one of those American super-men, obviously tall and still rather muscular. Seagal’s new A&E reality series zooms in on his life as a law-enforcing sheriff, but he narrates the show as if he’s reading from a manuscript: “When the world is speeding by for others, I see things for what they are. A cock of the head, a flick of the wrist, they all tell me something.” During the first episode, it seemed as if Seagal was going to peer longingly into the camera and predictably raise an eyebrow at any moment.

Surprisingly, it’s hard not to love Seagal. He’s a former actor fulfilling his duty to America, driving “through the ‘hood just to make (his) presence known.” He rides shotgun in the squad car and narrates in a slow, syrupy voice. During a high-speed chase, he even played the part of the backseat driver, much to the annoyance of his partner.

On other reality law enforcement shows, the cops hardly narrate. They’re either caught on tape taking names or relating a life-threatening experience they lived to tell. Bur not Steven Seagal. As one of the producers of “Lawman,” Seagal has no shame finding a way to make himself the star of a series that chronicles the misfortunes of criminals.

While it’s not the best cop show for those purely looking for violence, “Steven Seagal: Lawman” is certainly entertaining. And if a has-been action star reigniting his celebrity torch via reality show seems amusing to you, then by all means, watch “Lawman.” Laugh at his charming pose for the opening sequence, where he stands with one hand on his hip staring off into the sunset of a world with no crime.

Steven Seagal isn’t your average cop. He’s a huge man who isn’t too harsh on those he tracks down — he’s a humane dude after all. Seagal simply wants what’s best for the world, and he’ll fight for justice while wearing sunglasses (even at night). Finally there’s a cop with the gumption to unite dramatic humor and social justice.