ANN ARBOR (AP) – The stepson of Michigan coaching legend Bo Schembechler died in a weekend car crash in Idaho, officials say.

The body of Donald Schembechler, 48, was discovered Monday not far from his home in a rural area just outside of Orofino, Idaho, said Rick Ohnsman, public information officer for the Idaho State Police.

“From what we can tell, the accident may have happened as early as Saturday morning,” Ohnsman said.

It appeared that the vehicle Schembechler was driving went off a road overlooking the Clearwater River and onto a grassy embankment where it rolled over and Schembechler was ejected, Ohnsman said. The vehicle continued down the embankment and rolled off a cliff.

“Investigators are trying to determine now whether he died as a result of his injuries or from exposure after having been out there for a couple days,” Ohnsman said.

Glenn “Bo” Schembechler’s late wife Mildred had three sons by an earlier marriage – Donald, Geoffrey and Matthew. Together, they had one son, Glenn III.

Mildred Schembechler died of cancer in 1992.

University of Michigan spokesman Dave Ablauf said Bo Schembechler was in Idaho on Tuesday.

Schembechler’s Michigan teams won 13 Big Ten titles in 21 years. He compiled a 194-48-5 record at Michigan. His overall coaching record in 27 years was 234-65-8.

Schembechler stepped down from his post as Michigan coach after the 1989 season. His 194 wins made him the winningest head coach in Michigan football history.