In ongoing efforts to create a safer environment at fraternity parties, the University’s Interfraternity Council has shifted focus away from a “bring your own alcohol” rule toward a policy restricting how many students outside the Greek system may attend house parties.

At a meeting Wednesday night, the council voted to step up enforcement of a policy limiting non-Greek attendance at fraternity parties to one-quarter of the total turnout and requiring that all non-Greeks be on a guest list to enter the party.

Though a clause limiting the number of party attendees already existed in the council’s four-year-old Social Environment Management Policy, it was usually overlooked, IFC spokesman Ryan Spotts said.

Spotts said he doesn’t expect any backlash from fraternity leadership, but is concerned the guest list might be tough to enforce at parties.

“The only issue that we’re probably going to run into is people trying to get this or that guy in who isn’t on the guest list,” he said.

In an e-mail to The Michigan Daily, IFC President Jose Nunez said fraternities must now borrow a laptop and a scanner from the IFC before holding a party and use it to check the Greek identification cards issued to members of the Greek community.

Nunez said this system will improve safety at parties because it will efficiently tally the number of people at events and provide an attendance record “in the event of an emergency.”

Business School sophomore Emily Tischler, a member of the Delta Phi Epsilon sorority, said she doesn’t think the system will work, adding that she doesn’t know where her Greek identification card is.

“I’ve never been asked for my Greek ID,” she said. “I don’t know why they would check Greek IDs.”

LSA sophomore Jessica Klotz, another member of the sorority, also seemed pessimistic about the plan.

“I’m pretty sure it won’t work,” she said. “I feel like that’s so elitist and dumb. A guest list for frat parties? Get real.”

The move towards strictly monitoring party attendance is part of a larger effort by the IFC to make their parties safer.

The IFC attempted to enforce its two-year-old “alcohol check” policy last spring.

Starting in April, all IFC-sponsored parties required students to bring their own alcohol and check it at the door in a fashion similar to a coat check. When partygoers wanted a drink, “sober monitors” — fraternity members required to remain sober throughout the night — would pour them a drink from the alcohol they brought. If the monitors deemed someone too intoxicated, they could refuse to give them any more to drink.

But the experiment didn’t last long. Many partygoers this year didn’t know an alcohol check existed, and others said fraternity brothers supplied cases of beer and bottles of liquor despite the restriction.

Spotts said the alcohol check didn’t work as planned, which is why the IFC is trying to control the size of the parties instead.

“We were trying to step up the enforcement on how they actually brought the alcohol. We found that that isn’t necessarily what you need to focus on,” he said. “You learn from experience.”

Spotts added that IFC-sponsored parties still technically have a bring-your-own-alcohol rule.

“We still have a BYOA policy and you still have to go to the alcohol check if you want to get alcohol,” he said. “In that sense, the alcohol check still remains. We still don’t allow glass bottles or anything that could be dangerous.”

Spotts said the IFC also approved an increase in the number of sober monitors required at a party during last Wednesday’s meething.
Previously, the IFC mandated that fraternity parties with 200 guests have eight sober monitors. An extra monitor was added for every additional 20 guests.

Now, the IFC requires houses hosting parties with more than 200 guests have at least 18 sober monitors.