The State Theater will host a premiere screening of Sony’s “The Interview” on Christmas Day despite terror threats that toyed with the film’s fate in theatres.

Starring actors James Franco and Seth Rogan, the new comedy features the two as journalists enlisted by the CIA to assassinate North Korean dictator Kim Jong-un.

Sony postponed the movie’s release following a series of cyberattacks by a group called “The Guardians of Peace,” which the FBI has since linked to North Korea.

The group released multiple personal e-mails between Sony executives and threatened violence against any theaters screening “The Interview” — leading many major theaters to cancel their showings.

However, Sony announced Tuesday the movie will be released to any theatre disposed to screen it. Ann Arbor’s Quality 16 Goodrich theatre will also screen the comedy on Christmas Day.

“The people have spoken! Freedom has prevailed! Sony didn’t give up! The Interview will be shown at theaters willing to play it on Xmas day!” actor Seth Rogen tweeted Tuesday.

Reuters also reported Wednesday the movie will be available to rent on YouTube Movies, Google Play, Xbox Video and through a dedicated website, seetheinterview.com.

In addition to Ann Arbor’s Michigan and State Theatre, many independent theatres part of the Art House Convergence, an association of about 215 independent theatres in North America, will also screen the film on Christmas day.

Russ Collins, head of Ann Arbor’s Michigan and State Theatre, said Art-house cinemas lead the movement encouraging Sony to release the film despite terrorist threats to major theatres.

Collins posted an open letter to Sony executives on Art House Convergence’s website, expressing the association’s support towards Sony in wake of their decision to pull the film.

“We wanted to let them know that we really empathized with them during this difficult time,” Collins said. “If we could play a role in supporting them and exhibiting the film, we’d be more than happy to.”

The letter said Art House Cinemas would stand in solidarity with Sony to support artistic integrity and subsequently recognized any risk of screening the film.

“We understand there are risks involved in screening ‘The Interview,’” the letter reads. “Understanding those risks, the undersigned, independent cinema owners and operators of America under the banner of the Art House Convergence, do hereby agree to support Sony and to support theatrical engagements of ‘The Interview’ should Sony, at its sole discretion, decide to release it to theaters.”

Collins said after Sony announced they would release the film, the Art House Convergence felt State Street Theatre should be one of the theatres to premiere the film.

Overall, Collins is confident and excited about releasing “The Interview.” The film is set to screen through Jan 1.