Coming off a strong performance last week at the Stanford Invitational, the Michigan women’s track and field team returned to Michigan, where they competed in the Spartan Invitational. With most of the regular starters taking a rest this week, the meet was a prime opportunity for many of the younger Wolverines to prove their worth.

Freshman Sara Nitz competed in three different events, taking fourth in the high jump with a mark of 1.60 meters, seventh in the 100-meter hurdles and 10th in the long jump.

“I felt really good,” Nitz said. “I still have a lot of things to work on, but it’s a start, and I’m just going to build off of this and hopefully improve over the season. This is just a really good chance for me to get used to the feel of college meets.”

Several other Wolverines boasted strong results, a testament to the depth of Michigan’s young roster. Redshirt juniors Andrea Marcos, Abbey Breidenstein and Carly Schiffer took third, fifth and sixth places respectively in the pole vault.

Another notable performance came from sophomore Brittani Williams, who took third in the 400-meter dash, setting a season best of 57.30 seconds.

Many Wolverines were able to set new personal bests, as well. Junior Brittany Petty placed third in the high jump by clearing a career best of 1.65 meters, and redshirt junior Andrea Marcos set her own personal best height in the pole vault at 3.51, improving her previous best mark of 3.50 meters.

But the highlight of Saturday’s meet for the Wolverines came from redshirt junior Charnee Lumbus, who took first place in the 100-meter hurdles with a time of 13.66 seconds in just her second outdoor competition of the season.

The event was a positive stepping stone for many individuals, and it gave a promising glimpse into the next generation of athletes for the Wolverines.

“We graduated a lot of good seniors last year, but we still have a lot of good people and I feel that we can go places,” Nitz said.

But Nitz knows the young team can’t grow too complacent. There is still a steep learning curve for younger players, especially when they plan to take over the reins of the team in the next few years.

“There is just so much I can improve on,” Nitz said. “It’s one of the nice things, we’re doing okay right now, but there is still a lot to improve, so hopefully I can continue to do that throughout my four years here at Michigan.”