The ending may not have been what they were looking for, but the Michigan women’s golf team isn’t looking back.

The Wolverines finished 16th of 24 at the NCAA Central Regional at Ohio State’s Scarlet Golf Course this weekend, completing the three-round tournament with a team score of 937.

Lone upperclassman, senior Megan Bauer, lead the squad in the post-season, but Michigan coach Cheryl Stacy wasn’t worried about how the team would finish.

“When you’re that young, you’re not sure how they’re going to handle the atmosphere,” Stacy said. “We’re working on the culture and changing the expectations.”

If this year was any sign for the future, the Wolverines are in a good place to keep improving.

Michigan had two freshmen in the lineup this weekend: Lauren Grogan and Linda Luo. Grogan was just three strokes behind the Wolverines’ top finisher — Yugene Lee — shooting a 234 in her first post-season appearance, and Luo finished with a 239.

“I thought (Grogan and Luo) played pretty well, considering it was their first NCAA Regional,” Stacy said. “I think that the best part about it all was they gained the experience, so next year they’ll feel a little bit more comfortable.”

In addition to the two rookies, Michigan was led by Lee, who was coming off a stellar performance at the Big Ten Championships just two weeks earlier. Shee finished second at the conference tournament and looked to continue her success in Columbus.

Lee began the tournament in 12th place after the first day, but a seven-over-par and a six-over-par on days two and three gave her a total of 231 for the weekend. She finished tied for 43rd place.

“I’m sure she was disappointed and she wanted to play better because she’s very competitive,” Stacy said. “(She came) off of a good Big Ten (season) — she almost won the Big Ten Championship.”

Bauer and sophomore Alyssa Shimel were the other two golfers competing for Michigan this weekend. Shimel finished third for the Wolverines with a 235 and Bauer placed 108th, recording a 246 in her final NCAA appearance.

Stacy is pleased with her team’s overall performance, but knows there still is work to be done. She noted that next year the team will focus on setting the bar higher.

“(The team has) all talked about what they need to do this summer, what they need to work on, and they’re excited,” Stacy said. “I think a lot of them are going to take a little bit of a break and then start back up. They play summer tournaments, so it’s a year-long thing for them.”