A power outage that swept campus yesterday evening was brought on by an unlikely culprit.

Most University buildings on the Central and Medical Campuses were left in the dark just after 6 p.m. yesterday when a squirrel shorted a transformer at the University’s Central Power Plant, according to Department of Public Safety Spokeswoman Diane Brown.

Throughout yesterday night, the Daily received reports of outages in the following buildings: Shapiro Library, Hatcher Graduate Library, the University of Michigan Museum of Art, Michigan Union, C.C. Little, South Quad, West Quad, Angell Hall, the LSA Building, Tisch Hall, the School of Education, the School of Social Work, the Ross School of Business and the Dennison Building.

The outages lasted anywhere from a few minutes to hours, Brown said.

“Often when electricity is lost, depending on how the circuits are impacted, it can sometimes … reboot easily and in other cases it may affect a fuse or something,” she said.

As late as 9:30 p.m. last night, some buildings were still without power, including the School of Education Building, according to Brown.

LSA sophomore Kendra Furry said she was in an English class on the ground floor of Angell Hall when the power went out.

“We were all sort of weirded out,” she said. “The teacher went to look for another classroom we could go in but the lights were all out.”

Furry said the class was moved outside, but had to be ended early since the teacher needed a chalkboard.

Naomi Makofsky, president of Michigan Advertisement and Marketing, was leading a mass meeting at the Union when the lights went off.

“We continued in the dark,” she said. “Everyone stayed.”

She said power in the Union came on after about 15 or 20 minutes.