University officials announced yesterday that they’ve identified the first group of researchers and administrators who will move into the North Campus Research Complex.

According to an article published yesterday in the University Record, some of the first employees expected to move into the 30-building property will be from the Michigan Institute for Clinical & Health Research, the Office of Medical Development and Alumni Relations, the development and clinical trials offices for the Comprehensive Cancer Center and the Clinical Research Billing.

Senior Public Relations Representative Mary Masson said these groups were chosen because they are involved in supporting the University’s research community.

The complex — which was purchased from Pfizer in December 2008 — spans 1.97 million square feet, with 1.3 million square feet designated for research space and 420,000 square feet for administrative offices.

These groups were chosen through a campus-wide assessment of leased space. As reported in the University Record, moving research administrators from leased space to campus-owned property was part of an effort to create a more consolidated support system for the research community.

Ora Pescovitz, executive vice president for medical affairs, told the University Record that the new members are part of a “broad goal of creating a distinct new University community at NCRC.”

“As part of our extensive planning process,” Pescovitz said, “we expect these first employees will over time be joined by thousands of current and new faculty, staff and students who together will pursue groundbreaking research initiatives involving disciplines across campus and industry partnerships.”

Though the first to move in were chosen through the assessment, in the future, faculty researchers who want to move into the complex will need to go through an open application process, Masson said.

As of right now, there are no prerequisites for faculty hoping to apply, Masson said. Applications will be reviewed by a number of committees, which will look for benefits of locating certain research teams close to one another.

Masson said the committees are considering many general topics that could become themes of the NCRC, like healthcare reform. She added that there is a long-term strategic planning effort in place focused on identifying such themes.

Minor renovations are necessary before some of the NCRC buildings — especially laboratories — will be ready for research use, Masson said.

It is anticipated that over the next 10 years, the NCRC will create more than 2,000 faculty and staff positions. The complex is expected to be fully occupied by 2018.

On December 17, the Board of Regents approved a $1.8 million budget for renovations including new carpet and paint jobs, according to the University Record.