Knee, not money, haunts Webber now

DENVER (AP) – Sacramento Kings forward Chris Webber did not play against the Denver Nuggets on Saturday night due to a sore left knee.

The former Wolverine practiced with the team Saturday morning in Sacramento, but didn’t travel to Denver after his knee flared up.

“As soon as I went back to the training room, I found it was just bothering him too much with running,” Kings coach Rick Adelman said. “We decided to go ahead and leave him at home to work on some things.”

The forward was unable to play in yesterday’s game agaunst Miami. This was the same knee that troubled Webber earlier this season.

Webber had an MRI on his knee before Sacramento’s 119-113 overtime loss to Portland on Dec. 28. Webber had 20 points and 10 rebounds against the Trail Blazers, but missed 16 of 24 shots and had six turnovers.

He is averaging 22.9 points, 10.3 rebounds and five assists this season for the Kings

Protesters will be banned from Masters

AUGUSTA, Ga. (AP) – Protesters who intend to picket outside Augusta National Golf Club during the Masters might have difficulty getting close to the club.

Two civil-rights groups – Martha Burk’s National Council of Women’s Organizations and the Rev. Jesse Jackson’s Rainbow/PUSH coalition – intend to demonstrate outside Augusta’s gates to protest the club’s all-male membership.

Richmond County Sheriff Ronnie Strength told The Augusta Chronicle that law-enforcement officials will “not even consider the sidewalks around the Augusta National,” and that public safety will take precedence over planned protests.

Strength said the sidewalks are too narrow and there will be too many pedestrians and vendors on Washington Road to allow a large protest there.

The Masters will be held April 10-13.